T.W.T.W.W.T.W. So how were the lungs?

….That Was The Wedding Weekend That Was-So how were the lungs?….

In a nutshell, Pretty Good! Probably due to one word, adrenaline. I do tend to thrive on it to get through important events, but usually suffer in the come down from it.

But I have to say, I can’t complain one bit. I did of course take everything in the anti-asthma arsenal with me, and had it all laid out on my bedside table next to me. And used a fair amount of it too!

There you have it-all of the above, plus 25 foot of oxygen tubing trailing behind me around the hotel room and bathroom. And I could practically get to Mum and Dad’s room on the same ultra long cannula!

So how did I cope when the naughty little bellows started a-kickin’ off? Well, I made no secret of allowing myself necessary time out. I made sure I had my oxygen either with me, close to hand or in the car and topped up on it for 15 minutes at a time when I was becoming unbearably puffy, at the same time, double (ventolin + atrovent) or triple (2 ventolins +atrovent) nebbing!

I did have my quota of wonky lung moments-the worst of which was in the car on the way back from the church to the reception. I whacked up the O2 and got in a triple neb during the journey, and managed to clear the congestion and tightness that was building in an ominously uncomfortable way. It felt like I had been inhaling lumps the size of tennis balls right in the middle of my sternum-quite a nasty pain that had me almost doubling up on the walk back to the car after the photo shoot.

I seem to be using my oxygen almost all the time now, a good 10 hour overnight session and lots of out and about sessions during the day. I don’t know how I would have coped this past weekend without the ease and accessibility of my new portable concentrator and the trusty Pari travel neb.

I found the air in the hotel room quite hardgoing and humid too-no aircon-but we had a stand alone fan which J and I ran continuously for the duration of our stay and this really helped cool and move the air around, together with the window wide open.

In some respects the worst of TWTWWTW was the pollen in the countryside-we were both very dosed up on Fexofenadine and the humidity was at times, horrid, but the fan seemed to cure ours.

I am so pleased my lungs held it together-especially because I’d done a swift Pred taper in the few days before and was down to 20 mg.

….So that was how my lungs were in That Was The Weekend Wedding That Was!….

Postscript: The title of this post is somewhat of an homage to the satirical programme That Was The Week That Was, first broadcast during the960s, and absolutely hysterically funny!


6 Responses to T.W.T.W.W.T.W. So how were the lungs?

  1. Elisheva says:

    Glad to hear you’re somewhat satisfied and that despite all that effort you were able to attend and enjoy yourself.

  2. kerri says:

    I agree with Elisheva. Ya do what ya have to so that you can keep up the adventures–and weddings!

    Glad that despite the lung-y-ness you were able to enjoy that beautiful wedding!

  3. Amy says:

    All that, and you even saved the day when the organist hurt her hand? You’re a superhero, like Steve!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: