…..In response to so many of us on Twitter discussing this recently, I’ve created a simple Poll….
Here are some facts about Drs and Pred in the UK (((in my experience of my Drs!)))
- 40mg at 5 -7 days is the norm but often up to 2 weeks may be necessary.
- Drs do not usually taper you if you have only been on a short burst as in 1. above.
- Consultants would rather you were on a constant low dose (oh hello!) to stem the need for multiple emergency bursts as in 1. above.
- Consultants do not think that there is any point in being on 50mg or even 60mg as it has not been proven to work any quicker, it is just that your adrenals may require it due to insufficiency.
- GPs often disagree with Consultants over 4. above!
- Consultants will tell you to bolus dose before starting a burst course but GPs have little knowledge of this.
- All Drs will tell you to take your Pred in the morning, as that is when your body needs it the most due to the natural drop in cortisol being around 3am.
- If you find you really are wired and cannot sleep, split the dose taking half am and pm .
- It is really best not to take it at night as your body’s needs for it are highest in the morning.
- Pred pills do not contain calories. They do not make you put on weight by themselves-although your thirst may be increased.
…..Feel free to add any other dosage info in the comments below….